NIGHT AT THE STATE MUSEUM
Fri., March 31 to Sat., April 1
Families and groups are invited to experience the excitement of spending a night at the SC State Museum! Overnight guests will have the unique opportunity to learn from real astronomers as they explore the vast reaches of space.
See the new blockbuster exhibit, Savage Ancient Seas
See the museum’s new blockbuster exhibit, Savage Ancient Seas, featuring more than 50 prehistoric marine fossils, both cast and real specimens, mounted in extraordinary three-dimensional displays.
Click HERE to learn more.
Night at the Museum also includes:
A chance to sleep amongst the museum’s exhibits and artifacts.
Exploring constellations, planets, the Moon, and more in a special live, seasonal planetarium SkyTour.
Night-time observing through the historic 1926 Alvan Clark telescope including opportunities to see the Eskimo Nebula and Cigar Galaxy.
Please note: Opening the observatory dome depends on good weather. If weather is poor, staff will have alternative activities on hand including archived images taken through our telescopes. This overnight opportunity also has a very late “lights-out” time of 11pm in order to allow for the best celestial viewing.
Overnights at the SC State Museum are sponsored by Little Caesars
Exciting hands-on activities including air compressor rocket launching with SCSM Educators and Astronomers.
Little Caesars Pizza dinner.
A morning 4D movie experience.
Shopping in the Cotton Mill Exchange.
Coffee and continental breakfast.
Cost: $35 gen. public and $28 museum members
Registration: Early registration is strongly recommended. A 50% deposit is required for Night at the Museum. Group Visits will contact you after submission of your registration request in order to confirm details and collect your deposit. If you are registering for a group, we ask that one group leader make the reservation for your entire group.
Times: On Friday night check-in is from 5-5:45 p.m. and lights out is at 11 p.m. On Saturday morning wake-up time is 6 a.m. and departure is at 10 a.m. Troop leaders will be sent a schedule the Monday prior to the overnight.
How to register:
PLEASE CALL 803-898-4999 TO REGISTER
ALL ABOUT OVERNIGHTS INFO
WHAT DO WE EAT?
- SC State Museum Overnights are sponsored by Little Caesars’ pizza. We will have cheese and pepperoni options for dinner along with lemonade, tea, and water.
- A simple continental breakfast will be provided in the morning with granola bars, chewy fruit bars, pop-tarts, water, and juice.
Please note that food is not allowed on the museum floor outside of the Launch Room or Café area. Please do not bring snacks into the exhibit areas. If you have snacks (or alternative meal options) for your group, please put them all in the same bag, box, or cooler with a label and we will show you where to leave them in the Launch Room.
WHERE DO WE SLEEP?
- Overnight participants will be assigned sleeping areas upon arrival and will sleep among the museum exhibits. Air mattresses are allowed and recommended for adults only due to space limitations. There are bathrooms on every floor of the museum. There are no showers.
- For safety reasons, once the call for “lights out” has happened, no one will be permitted to exit the museum and re-enter.
WHAT SHOULD WE BRING?
- Sleeping bags and pillows
- Any necessary medications
- Any sleep aids you may need (stuffed animals, sleep masks, etc.)
- Toiletries (toothbrushes, toothpaste, facewash, etc.)
- Cameras (please avoid bringing other electronic devices)
- Flashlights (adults only, please)