Pages Navigation Menu
Categories Navigation Menu


South Carolina State Museum. Columbia, South Carolina, Museum, Attraction, Planetarium, Observatory, 4D Theater, Exhibitions


Who handles the catering?

Southern Way is the exclusive caterer for all daytime events, and the preferred caterer for all after-hours events. Click to learn more about catering your event at the museum.

Can alcohol be served?

Alcohol can only be served after hours when the museum is closed to the public. Our caterer can assist with coordinating bartending services.

How early can my event begin?

Daytime events can begin as early as 8 a.m. After-hours events can begin as early as one hour after the public closing of the museum each day (public operating hours are posted and subject to change).

How long can my event last?

Daytime events can be either four or eight hours long. After-hours events may last up to four hours and must end no later than 12 a.m.

Are rehearsals included in wedding rentals?

We will accommodate a wedding rehearsal at no additional cost based on our available space and time. Normally, these occur between 4-6 p.m. on the day before your wedding, but we will make individual arrangements with you in the planning process

Can I have a band or DJ at my event?

Yes, you can hire musical entertainment for your event. We are happy to provide helpful information and walk through proposed setups.

How early can I set up my event?

Daytime events must be set up within the four or eight hour rental period. After-hours events may begin to set up two hours prior to the public closing time of the museum. Rentals of public spaces may not interfere with public access, enjoyment or safety while setting up prior to museum closing.

Can I just rent the whole museum?

Yes, it is possible to rent the entire museum for an after-hours event. We will be happy to walk through the options and costs on-site with you to determine if this is a desirable option for you.

Are there any items not allowed at my event?

The museum does not allow glitter, confetti, birdseed, helium balloons, open flames, candles, fireworks or live animals (other than service animals). Sparklers for wedding receptions are subject to museum approval.


Our in-house event team is eager to assist you throughout the planning process. For questions related to renting the State Museum, please contact the museum’s Facility Rentals Department at 803.898.4901 or