OverNights at the SC State Museum
BOY SCOUT OVERNIGHT – Fri., Jan. 27 to Sat., Jan. 28
GIRL SCOUT OVERNIGHT – Fri., Feb. 24 to Sat., Feb. 25
Overnights at the SC State Museum are back and Scouts are invited to experience a night at the museum! Overnight scouts will have the unique opportunity to learn from real Astronomers as they explore the vast reaches of space. Overnight opportunities include:
A chance to sleep amongst the museum’s exhibits and artifacts.
Exploring constellations, planets, the Moon, and more in a special live, seasonal planetarium SkyTour.
Night-time observing through the historic 1926 Alvan Clark telescope including opportunities to see the Andromeda Galaxy, Orion Nebula, and planets.*
Exciting hands-on activities including air compressor rocket launching with SCSM Educators and Astronomers.
Little Caesars Pizza dinner.
A morning 4D movie experience.
Continental Breakfast with coffee.
Shopping in the Cotton Mill Exchange.
* Please note: Opening the observatory dome depends on good weather. If weather is poor, staff will have alternative activities on hand including archived images taken through our telescope by SC students.
BOOK YOUR SCOUT OVERNIGHT
Cost: $35 per person
Registration: Early registration is strongly recommended. A 50% deposit is required to reserve your group’s spot for Overnights. Group Visits will contact you after submission of your registration request in order to confirm details and collect your deposit. We ask that one troop leader make the reservation for your entire group.
Remaining balance is due 2 weeks prior to the overnight.
A written cancellation must be received two weeks before the scheduled overnight in order to receive a refund.
No refunds will be issued for cancellations made with less than two weeks’ notice.
Rescheduling is subject to space availability. The South Carolina State Museum reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any activity. A refund will be given if the museum cancels an overnight.
Capacity: Minimum 100/Maximum 200
Times: On Friday night check-in is from 5-5:45 p.m. and lights out is at 11 p.m. On Saturday morning wake-up time is 6 a.m. and departure is at 10 a.m. Troop leaders will be sent a schedule the Monday prior to the overnight.
OverNights at the SC State Museum are sponsored by Little Caesars
How to register: Fill out the Reservation Request Form below. Questions? Contact the Group Visits Dept. by phone at 803.898.4999 or by email at Group_Visits@scmuseum.org
ALL ABOUT OVERNIGHTS INFO
WHAT DO WE EAT?
- SC State Museum Overnights are sponsored by Little Caesars’ pizza. We will have cheese and pepperoni options for dinner along with lemonade, tea, and water.
- A simple continental breakfast will be provided in the morning with granola bars, chewy fruit bars, pop-tarts, water, and juice.
Please note that food is not allowed on the museum floor outside of the Launch Room or Café area. Please do not bring snacks into the exhibit areas. If you have snacks (or alternative meal options) for your group, please put them all in the same bag, box, or cooler with a label and we will show you where to leave them in the Launch Room.
WHERE DO WE SLEEP?
- Overnight participants will be assigned sleeping areas upon arrival and will sleep among the museum exhibits. Air mattresses are allowed and recommended for adults only due to space limitations. There are bathrooms on every floor of the museum. There are no showers.
- For safety reasons, once the call for “lights out” has happened, no one will be permitted to exit the museum and re-enter.
WHAT SHOULD WE BRING?
- Sleeping bags and pillows
- Any necessary medications
- Any sleep aids you may need (stuffed animals, sleep masks, etc.)
- Toiletries (toothbrushes, toothpaste, facewash, etc.)
- Cameras (please avoid bringing other electronic devices)
- Flashlights (adults only, please)