Bringing fun-filled, learning experiences across the state
Currently, the museum is offering a special outreach opportunity that lets our educators bring amazing, immersive planetarium experiences right into your classroom with our AstroSphere Portable Planetarium. This inflatable dome features a portable star projector that transports you and your students through the solar system and beyond!
- Educator Led programs are 45 minutes long, blocked in 1 hour time periods to allow for proper resetting and safe entering and exiting of the dome.
- General Skytour Curriculum will take you and your students on a celestial journey covering a variety of topics such as: basic navigation, star colors/brightness, constellations, asterisms, Earth’s rotation and axis tilt, a brief viewing of the solar system or the Moon if time allows.
- Standards to build upon:
- 2014 SC Academic Standards for Excellence: 1.E.3A; 4.E.3A, 4.E.3B
- 2021 SC Academic Standards for Excellence: 1-ESS1-1, 1-ESS1-2; 5-ESS1-1, 5-ESS1-2
- NGSS: 1-ESS1-1, 1-ESS1-2; 5-ESS1-1, 5-ESS1-2
- Capacity: 25 smaller students (3rd grade and below) can fit in the dome at once. About 20 older students can fit in the dome. The bigger they get, the tighter the space is.
- A totally silent space is required. The portable dome must be completely isolated from all other noise and activity. It should be the only thing happening in the room at any given time. No sound or other activities can be in the room while programs are going on.
- The portable dome requires 24ft of cleared floor space and 12ft ceiling clearance (including light fixtures).
- Two accessible, working outlets to inflate the dome and run the projection system.
Portable Planetarium Information
Dates Available for Booking
Tuesdays - Friday
Now through May 26, 2023
$150 for the 1st program $100 for each additional program within the same day (maximum of 4 programs a day) .