Each month the museum hosts a special morning designed for families of children, teenagers, young adults and adults who would benefit from a quieter, sensory-friendly and disability-adapted experience.
Guests who are neurodiverse, autistic, or have other disabilities are welcome to participate in the optional activities listed below, or explore museum exhibition galleries at their own pace.
An American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, sponsored by Colonial Life, is available during the morning provided by certified interpreters through the SC School for the Deaf and Blind. Activities featuring ASL interpretation are noted (ASL) below.
General Admission to Accessibility Morning is FREE for participants.
Guests are welcome to participate in the activities such as:
- Open exploration of museum galleries
- Meet-and-greet story time with a featured popular character
- Special sensory shows in the 4D theater or Planetarium*
- American Sign Language interpreter, sponsored by Colonial Life, available for each morning, including story time, shows, and museum highlights tour.
- Program Partner stations where you can meet and learn more about local accessibility focused groups and organizations
- Sensory Room offering a therapeutic space with a variety of items to help guests find their calm and focus themselves so they can be better experience the museum.
Make sure to check out the individual events linked below to see a full schedule of times and activities for those specific dates.
*Sensory Friendly Shows will alternate monthly between planetarium and 4D theater experiences. Shows feature lowered volume, however 4D experiences still include enhanced effects, including scents, bursts of air, rumbling seats, leg ticklers, bubbles and snow, lighting effects, and squirts of water. Accessibility Morning shows are free but space is limited.
Upcoming Accessibility Mornings
Sat., Sept. 9 | 9 - 11 a.m.
Sat., Oct. 14 | 9 - 11 a.m.
Sat., Nov. 11 | 9 - 11 a.m.
Museum Accessibility Information
Learn more about what accessibility resources the museum offers for guests, find parking information and more.